Fellowships & Grants

Fulbright Study Abroad Program


To increase mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills. The grants are designed to give U.S. students the opportunity to live and study in a foreign country for one academic year.

Types of Grants

Full Grant provides round-trip transportation, language or orientation course, tuition, books, health and accident insurance, and maintenance for one academic year in one country. Travel Grant provides transportation to one of a limited group of countries. This is intended to supplement other types of grants or to supplement the student's own funds for study. Foreign Grants are offered by foreign universities, governments and private donors. Most of these do not cover the entire expense of the period of foreign study, and students are expected to be able to pay their own travel expenses and part of the maintenance costs.


  • a U.S. citizen
  • Candidates are expected to have a G.P.A. of 3.3 or above.
  • provide evidence of admission to a U.S. graduate school and intent to enroll in that program before the actual award can be made
  • Language proficiency sufficient to communicate with the people of the host country.
  • Preference is given to those candidates who have not had prior opportunity (except military duty) for extended study or residence abroad. In some countries, preference is given to graduate students conducting research.
  • Applicant must have a bachelor's degree or the equivalent before the beginning date of the grant. Applicant may not hold a doctorate at the time of application (some exceptions, depending upon the field and country). Creative and performing artists are not required to have a bachelor's degree, but must have four years of professional study or equivalent experience. (For a more detailed list of eligibility requirements and exceptions, see the brochure, "Fulbright and Other Grants for Graduate Study Abroad" available in the Office of Fellowships.)


  • Applicant may make only one application in a given year.
  • Applicant is usually required to outline a course of study or a research project in his/her major field which may be completed in one country during one academic year abroad. Read the current brochure carefully for specific requirements and information relevant to particular fields and countries. Visit the Institute of International Education's (IIE) Fulbright Online Website for information on Fulbright grants.
  • Countries and number of awards vary from year to year. Note: Some countries offer teaching assistantships and internships.
  • Please consult the Regional and Individual Country Summaries section of the Fulbright and Related Grants book or Web site before starting your application. A copy of this book is available for in-office use at the Office of Fellowships, Rice Hall 302.


All graduate Fulbright applicants must meet with Geri Rypkema, GW Fulbright Advisor and Director of the Office of Graduate Student Assistantships prior to submitting a Fulbright application. Please contact Geri (rypkema@gwu.edu) to schedule an appointment. Undergraduates apply through the Office of Fellowships in the University Honors Program and should contact Paul Hoyt-O'Connor (phoytoc@gwu.edu).


Other Fellowships, Scholarships & Grants