Fellowships & Grants
Conference Travel Grant
Guiding Principle: Presenting their research at academic conferences enhances the PhD students' academic program and future professional prospects. To support this participation, the Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships will award travel grants to defray the cost of attendance to some PhD students who have been invited to present papers at conferences.
Purpose: Travel grants for GW PhD students are available for those students invited to present papers at a national or international conference related to their academic area or dissertation research. The grants are competitive and range between $300 and $1,000. They are not intended to cover the entire cost of transportation, hotel, etc. and will not cover trips for presentation of posters.
1) Deadline: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis but must be received at least one month before the travel will take place.
2) Awards will not be made to more than one student per conference.
3) Conferences must be held outside of the Washington Metropolitan Area.
4) A goal of the program is to award funding to PhD students studying on the Foggy Bottom Campus throughout the following schools only:
- Columbia School of Arts and Sciences (All programs except Biological Sciences; those students mustapply for Travel Grants through their department)
- Graduate School of Education and Human Development
- School of Engineering and Applied Science
- School of Business
5) Funds are limited. A PhD student in a department whose PhD students have not received awards this year, or in past years, will be given preference over a student in a department whosestudents have received funds from this program.
6) Preference will be given to PhD students attending professional conferences over thoseattending student conferences.
7) The conferences must be directly related to the PhD student's research and/or academicprogram.
8) Only one award will be made per PhD student during the student's entire degree program.
9) For International Students: This award is a grant that may be subject to withholding,depending on the tax treaty with your home country.
10) Awarded grants will be processed only after proof of attendance and participationas a presenter are received. Original receipts are required.
Instructions: Completed application materials along with required documents should be submitted to the Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships, 2121 Eye Street, NW, Rice Hall 302, Washington, DC 20052, Fax: (202) 994-8845.
For an application please visit the Office
of Graduate Student Assistantships & Fellowships.