Scottish Rite Endowment Graduate Fellowships
Rolling Deadline Application Review
1 December 2016
(for consideration for Spring 2017 and Fall 2017 funding)
Applications received before the deadline will be reviewed within seven business days of submission.
Eligibility forms sent after 11/11/16 cannot be verified by the 1 December 2016 deadline for Spring 2017 and Fall 2017 funding. Students who want to be considered for Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 funding should check back after 1 February 2017 for the 17-18 academic year application.
Tuition fellowships of $15,000, funded by income from a Scottish Rite endowment given to the George Washington University, are awarded for the academic year to full-time graduate students in the Elliott School of International Affairs, the School of Business, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, College of Professional Studies, or the Milken Institute at the George Washington University Foggy Bottom campus. Tuition awards will apply only to course registration during the academic year, excluding summer sessions, on the Foggy Bottom campus. Award amounts can vary by semester. While priority is given to full-time students, part time students (those taking at least 6 credits per semester) may apply and will be considered for $7,500 awards, if funding is available.
- US Citizenship.
- Incoming or current students on the Foggy Bottom campus in one of the applicable graduate schools listed above.
- Verified affiliation with a US Scottish Rite organization with eligibility confirmation. Applicants (not Scottish Rite members, unless the applicant is a member) must submit a Verification of Scottish Rite Eligibility Form to email@example.com in order for the application to be reviewed. Eligibility is confirmed by the Scottish Rite if either the applicant's grandfather, father, uncle, or self is or has been a 32 degree Scottish Rite member. (No exceptions). (Membership must be in the United States Scottish Rite. No exceptions. Correspondence will be directed only to the student applying for eligibility.) NOTE: If you are a recipient of a Scottish Rite Undergraduate Scholarship at GWU and are applying to GWU for graduate school, please fill out this form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Undergraduate recipients do not need to go through the eligibility process again.
- Academic excellence as demonstrated by undergraduate transcripts (and graduate transcripts, if applicable).
- Intending full-time study (a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester or 18 credit hours per academic year) or part-time study (a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester or 12 credit hours per academic year) in a master's or doctoral degree program on the Foggy Bottom campus.
NOTE: Recipients of this $15,000 award must enroll full-time for Spring and Fall study during the period of said award. No exceptions. This award cannot be applied to summer sessions. No exceptions.
- Verify Scottish Rite affiliation by filling out and emailing the eligibility form to email@example.com. Once received, the form will be sent to the Scottish Rite for formal verification. You will be notified once OGSAF receives notice. Note: Eligibility should be verified before proceeding further with the application process. It can take two weeks to three months to confirm eligibility and this process cannot be expedited. It is strongly suggested that applicants submit their eligibility form far in advance before the application deadline. The Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships will contact applicants once eligibility is confirmed. If you are a student who has been offered admission at GWU, our office cannot guarantee that your eligibility form will be processed and/or application reviewed before your decision date to attend GWU.
- Complete the Scottish Rite Endowment Graduate Fellowship application via the online fellowships application portal.Instructions on how to apply through the portal can be found here.
- Application Materials
- Personal Essay
- Official or unofficial undergraduate transcripts
- Graduate transcripts, applicable only to current GW Master's or PhD students with grades posted by the deadline.
- Three letters of recommendation. Two of the letters MUST be academic (from current or past professors). The third letter may be personal or professional (from an employer, colleague, or Scottish Rite member), but it may NOT be from a family member.
- Confirmation of submission and approval of Scottish Rite Eligibility Verification Form.
Fellowships are renewable for an additional year for Master's candidates or for four additional years for doctoral students. Part-time students may be renewed for additional years. Recipients must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA, continue to enroll in full-time study and understand that the award will only be applied for Fall and Spring semesters. Recipients must submit a Request for Renewal application form, which will be sent to current recipients in the Spring semester from the Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships.