The Eleanor Roosevelt Papers Project is a university-chartered research center associated with the Department of History of The George Washington University

The George Washington University

The Eleanor Roosevelt Papers Project
Teaching Eleanor Roosevelt Glossary

[picture: Stone Cottage] Stone Cottage, a two story Dutch colonial cottage made of fieldstone, was the first building constructed on the Val-Kill property. Designed by Harry Tombs, who would also collaborate with FDR on Top Cottage, the simple structure sits close to Fallkill Creek. Marion Dickerman and Nancy Cook moved into the cottage in 1926 and lived there year round. Although ER had her own room, she rarely stayed at the cottage over night. In 1937, ER moved out of Stone Cottage after she had the Val-Kill Industries building reconfigured for apartments. Today Stone Cottage is the home of the Eleanor Roosevelt Center at Val-Kill.


Joseph P. Lash. Eleanor: The Years Alone. New York: W.W. Norton Co., Inc. 1972, 173.