Next: The Road to the Good
Now available in bookstores
or order now!
"For those of us bored by ponderous and predictable liberal
treatises, Next is a succinct and creative pleasure. All those debating
America's political future should think through its proposals."
"Intelligent, impassioned, insightful--Etzioni's is a voice we need
to listen to."
--Rabbi Harold Kushner
The last eight years have seen the rise of the political center in American
politics, but, as demonstrated by the recent presidential election, a clear
agenda has not been articulated for the next decade. In Next, Amitai
Etzioni argues that both parties have failed to address today's pressing
As such, Next issues a bracing call for greater political and
community involvement. Etzioni argues that our world-leading economy offers us
the opportunity to end scarcity and the cycle of materialism, and outlines a
novel domestic agenda that will allow us to prevail over the principal
challenges facing us in the decades to come, including:
- Mutuality beats volunteerism (and seniors will replace women as the main source of
volunteers): pp. 8-12;
- More accountability for private prisons, exporters that pose a danger to national security,
and other profit-making parties: pp. 48ff;
- Fighting crime with shorter sentences but more certitude: pp. 51ff;
- A new formula for social justice, not involving equality: pp. 53ff;
- New public health measures: pp. 56ff;
- Investing in schools rather than colleges: pp.65ff;
- Decriminalizing politics: pp. 80ff;
- A call for a return of a MODERATE counterculture and a moral dialogue about when
enough is enough: pp. 109ff.