Amitai Etzioni - Collaborations
Copies of most of these items are available. If interested please e-mail us at
and we will be happy to mail it to you. Please be sure to include your mailing address.
- Social Change: Sources, Patterns and Consequences, with Eva Etzioni (eds.), (New York: Basic Books, 1964). Translated into Spanish (Mexico D.F.: Fondo de Cultura Economica, 1968).
- Societal Guidance: A New Approach to Social Problems, with Sarajane Heidt (eds.), (New York: Thomas Y. Crowell, 1969).
- Anatomies of America: Sociological Perspectives, with Philip Ehrensaft (eds.), (Boston: Little, Brown & Company, 1970).
- Comparative Perspectives: Theories and Methods, with Frederick L. Dubow (eds.), (Boston: Little, Brown & Company, 1970).
- War and Its Prevention, with Martin Wenglinsky (eds.), (New York: Harper & Row, 1970).
- Technological Shortcuts to Social Change, with Richard Remp (New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 1973).
- Organizations in Society, with Edward Gross (Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1985). Also published: Organizzazioni e societa,
Societa editrice el Mulino, Bologna, Italy (1987).
- SOCIO-ECONOMICS Toward a New Synthesis, with Paul R. Lawrence (New York: M.E. Sharpe, Inc., 1991).
- Rights vs. Public Safety After 9/11: America in the Age of Terrorism, with Jason Marsh (Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2003).
- Voluntary Simplicity: Responding to Consumer Culture, with Daniel Doherty (Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2003).
- Research Report for the Office of Economic Opportunity: "Sociological Implications of Alternative Income Transfer Systems," with Carolyn O. Atkinson, (Washington, D.C.: Bureau of Social Science Research, 1969).
- Research Report for the U.S. Office of Education: "Toward Higher Education in an Active Society," with Murray Milner, (Washington, D.C.: Bureau of Social Science Research, 1970).
31. "Face-to-Face and Computer-Mediated Communities, A Comparative Analysis," with Oren Etzioni. The Information Society Vol. 15, No. 4, (October-December 1999), p. 241-248.
30. "Communities: Virtual vs. Real," with Oren Etzioni. Science, Vol. 277, (July 18, 1997), p. 295.
29. "Background Paper on New Americans," with Dana Mitra. The Communitarian Network, (April 13, 1995), 37 pp.
28. "Build on Knowledge From the Social Sciences to Fight the Spread of AIDS," with William Gamson and Felice Levine. Point of View - Chronicle of Higher Education, (November 30, 1994), p. A56.
27. "High Tech, Basic Industry, and the Future of the American Economy" with Paul Jargowsky, Human Resource Management, Vol. 23, No. 3 (Fall, 1984) pp. 229-240. Published also: The Nature of Work: Sociological Perspectives, Kai Erikson and Steven P. Vallas (Eds.), New Haven: Yale University Press, 1990. 378 pp. Also published as: "The False Choice between High Technology and Basic Industry," Part V-The Future of Work, with Paul A. Jargowsky, The Nature of Work: Sociological Perspectives, Kai Erikson and Steven P. Vallas (Eds.), New Haven: Yale University Press, 1990, pp. 304-318.
26. "Perspectives on Productivity: A Global View," a Study with Louis Harris (Stevens Point, Wisc.: Sentry Insurance Co., 1981).
25. "The Decline in Confidence in America: The Prime Factor, A Research Note," with Thomas A. DiPrete in The Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, Vol. 15, No. 4 (October-December 1979), pp. 520-526.
24. "National Health Insurance: Mobilizing Profit for Public Service," with Pamela Doty in Public Policy, Vol. 26, No. 3 (Summer 1978), pp. 405-413.
23. "Complex Organizations," with Edward W. Lehman, in Edward Sagarin (ed.), Sociology: The Basic Concepts (New York: Holt, Reinhart and Winston, 1978), pp. 110-127.
22. "The Impact of Health and Disease in Society," with S. Salasin, in Health Needs of Society: A Challenge for Medical Education (Geneva: World Health Organization, 1977), pp. 39-48.
21. "Profit in Not-for-Profit Corporations: The Example of Health Care," with Pamela Doty, in Political Science Quarterly, Vol. 91, No. 3 (Fall 1976), pp. 433-453.
20. "Executive Deception: Capitol Hill's Growing Problem," with Peter W. Heberling in Trial Magazine, Vol. 12, No. 1 (January 1976), pp. 60-61, 68, 74-75.
19. "Guided Societal Change and Mental Retardation," with Stephen A. Richardson in Michael J. Begab and Stephen A. Richardson (eds.) The Mentally Retarded and Society: A Social Science Perspective, (Baltimore: University Park Press, 1975), pp. 469-479.
18. "Participatory Technology: The MINERVA Communications Tree," with Kenneth Laudon and Sara Lipson in Journal of Communication, Vol. 25, No. 2 (Spring 1975), pp. 64-74.
17. "Amniocentesis, A Forerunner of the Genetic Fix," with Nancy Castleman, Connecticut Medicine, Vol. 38, No. 9 (September 1974), pp. 487-488.
16. "The Public Appreciation of Science in Contemporary America, " with Clyde Z. Nunn, Daedalus, Vol. 103, No. 3 (Summer 1974), pp. 191-205. Reprinted in Gerald Holton and William A. Blanpied (eds.), Science and its Public: the Changing Relationship (Boston: D. Reidel Publishing Co., 1976), pp. 229-243.
15. "Tolerance for Bureaucratic Structure: Theory and Measurement," with Sally Hillsman Baker, Richard A. Hansen and Marvin Sontag, Human Relations, Vol. 26, No. 6 (1973), pp. 775-786.
14. "Revenue Sharing: The Next Domestic Disaster," with Marina Ottaway, The Nation, Vol. 216, No. 5 (January 29, 1973), pp. 138-142.
13. "Technological 'Shortcuts' to Social Change," with Richard Remp, Science, Vol. 175, No. 4017 (January 7, 1972), pp. 31-38. Reprinted in Nursing Digest, Vol. 1, No. 3 (May 1973), pp. 68-84.
12. "MINERVA: A Participatory Technology System" with Eugene Leonard, Harvey A. Hornstein, Peter Abrams, Thomas Stephens and Noel Tichy, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Vol. XXVII, No. 9 (November 1971), pp. 4-12. Translated into French in the Bulletin Centre detude des Consequences des Grandes Techniques Nouvelles C.T.N., No. 64, pp. 30-32.
11. "Societal Guidance: Toward a Theory of Social Problems," with Sarajane Heidt in Erwin O. Smigel (ed.), Handbook on the Study of Social Problems (Chicago: Rand McNally and Co., 1971), pp. 59-82. Translated into German in Karl Otto Hondrich (ed.), Menschliche Bedurfnisse und soziale Steverung (Hamburg: Rowohlt Taschenbuch Verlag, 1975), pp. 239-261.
10. "A Sociological Perspective on Black Studies," with Irene Tinker, Educational Record, Vol. 52, No. 1 (Winter 1971), pp. 65-76.
9. "Antipoverty Insurance: A Mode of Private Sector Participation," with Carolyn O. Atkinson and Sarajane Heidt, Public Administration Review, Vol. XXIX, No. 6 (November-December 1969), pp. 614-622.
8. "Willing Hands for What?" with Peggy Anderson, The Washington Monthly, Vol. 1, No. 5 (June 1969), pp. 44-51.
7. "Dual Leadership in a Therapeutic Organization," with Ethna Lehman, International Review of Applied Psychology, Vol. 17, No. 1 (April 1968), pp. 51-67.
6. "Some Workpoints for a Macrosociology," with Frederick L. DuBow, in Samuel Z. Klausner (ed.), The Study of Total Societies (Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1967), pp. 147-161.
5. "Some Dangers in 'Valid' Social Measurement: Preliminary Notes," with Edward W. Lehman, The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, Vol. 373 (September 1967), pp. 1-15. Translated into German in Herausgegeben von Willy Hochkeppel (ed.), Soziologie zwischen Theorie und Empirie (Munchen: Nymphenburger Verlaghandlung, 1970); reprinted in Measurement Issues in Evaluation (Washington, D.C.: University Research Corp., 1971).
4. "Scope, Pervasiveness, and Tension Management in Complex Organizations," with William R. Taber, Social Research, Vol. 30, No. 2 (Summer 1963), pp. 220-238.
3. "De la 'hevra' en armes a l'armee de defense," with Eva Etzioni, L'Arche, No. 40 (April 1960), pp. 36-39.
2. "Le 'sabra' et la'hevre'," with Eva Etzioni, L'Arche, No. 25 (January 1959), pp. 23-25.
1. "The 'Sabra' in Israeli Literature," with Eva Etzioni, Jewish Frontier (October 1958), pp. 16-19.