FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 14, 2007
Contact: Press Office
Clinton Campaign Adds New Leaders to LGBT Americans for Hillary
The Clinton campaign today announced the addition of 44 members to its national LGBT Americans for Hillary Steering Committee. The announcement comes just a day after Clinton successfully hosted a fundraiser with 250 members of the LGBT community in Washington, DC as well as a day after the endorsement of openly gay Congressman Barney Frank.
“I am honored to have the support of these leaders in the LGBT community,” Clinton said. “Together, we can end the divisive politics of the current administration and renew the promise of fairness and equality for all Americans.”
The list of new supporters reflects the diversity of the LGBT community itself and includes Army veteran Eric Alva, the first soldier to be injured during the war in Iraq; comedian Kate Clinton; transgender activists, Dana Beyer and Donna Rose; Robert Hanson, President of Levi Strauss of America; Alexander Robinson, CEO of the National Black Justice Coalition and Earl Fowlkes, President and CEO, International Federation of Black Prides, Inc. Several elected officials are also joining the national Steering Committee, including Delegate Adam Ebbin of Virginia, State Rep. Steve Howard of Vermont, State Senator Jolie Justus of Missouri, State Rep. Sarah Peake of Massachusetts, State Rep. David Pierce of New Hampshire, State Rep. Patricia Todd of Alabama, and State Rep. Kathy Webb of Arkansas. Clinton now has the public support of twenty members of the Board of the National Stonewall Democrats, including Board Co-chairs, Steve Driscoll and Laurie McBride.
Hillary has been a longtime friend of the gay community. She fought against the Federal Marriage Amendment (FMA) both times and has worked on legislation that would promote equality for LGBT Americans. She worked to pass the Pension Protection Act, which allows same sex partners to transfer their pensions to each other and is an original co-sponsor of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act. Hillary is also an original co-sponsor of the Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligation Act, which would grant the same benefits, including health insurance, to domestic partners of federal employees that are currently offered to only employees’ legal spouses. She has been a champion of the Early Treatment for HIV Act, which expands access to vital treatment options for low-income individuals living with HIV and fought to fully fund the Ryan White CARE Act.
As President, Hillary will work to make sure that gay and lesbian couples in committed relationships have the same rights and responsibilities as all Americans. She will also work to end discrimination in adoption laws, sign hate crimes legislation and ENDA into law, and put an end to the failed policy of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.
New Committee Members Are*:
· Hon. Adam Ebbin,
Delegate, Virginia House of Delegates
· Hon. Steve Howard, Vermont State Representative
· Hon. Jolie Justus, Missouri State Senator
· Hon. Sarah Peake, Massachusetts State Representative
· Hon. David Pierce, New Hampshire State Representative
· Hon. Patricia Todd, Alabama State Representative
· Hon. Kathy Webb, Arkansas State Representative
· Mario Acosta-Velez, National Board of Stonewall Democrats
· Michael Agins, principal, Agins and Associates
· Eric Alva, veteran, first soldier injured in Iraq
· Dana Beyer, Human Rights Campaign Board of Governors, Transgender activist
· Darren Bowie, DC activist; Vice President, Gertrude Stein Democratic Club
· Barbara Casbar-Siperstein, National Board of Stonewall Democrats, Transgender activist
· Kate Clinton, comedian
· Catherine, Dodd, a former Department of Health & Human Services regional director
· Clay Doherty, former Executive Director, Gay and Lesbian Leadership Council, Democratic National Committee; Board Member, Equality California PAC
· Stephen Driscoll, Co-chair, National Board of Stonewall Democrats
· Earl Fowlkes, President and CEO, International Federation of Black Prides, Inc.
· Jesse Garcia, National Board of Stonewall Democrats
· John Gile, Executive Director, Project Angel Food
· Doug Haloftis, partner, Gardere, Wynne, Sewell LLP
· Robert Hanson, President, Levi Strauss of America; Board Member, Hendrick Martin Foundation
· Jo Hoenninger, former Co-chair, Servicemembers Legal Defense Network
· Ray Hom, Board of Governors, Human Rights Campaign
· Rick Ingram, President, Stonewall Democrats of Illinois
· Leslie Katz, former San Francisco City Supervisor; past chair, San Francisco Democratic Party
· Jeffrey Marburg-Goodman, former chief procurement counsel, U.S. Agency for International Development.
· Laurie McBride, Co-chair, National Board of Stonewall Democrats
· Chance Mitchell, Co-founder and CEO, National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
· Justin Nelson, Co-founder and CEO, National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
· Peter Pappas, Board of Governors, Human Rights Campaign
· Dana Perlman, Human Rights Campaign Board of Directors, Public Policy Chair
· Craig Roberts, National Board of Stonewall Democrats
· H. Alexander Robinson, CEO, National Black Justice Coalition
· Donna Rose, Transgender activist; Board member, GLAAD; Board member National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
· Scott Safier, National Board of Stonewall Democrats
· Marc Solomon, Campaign Director, MassEquality
· Laura Spanjian, San Francisco activist
· Paul Tran, National Board of Stonewall Democrats
· Steve VanHook, National Board of Stonewall Democrats
· Ben Waldman, former Vice President of Microsoft
· Jon Winkleman, National Board of Stonewall Democrats
· Lawrence Yanovitch, International Development Expert
· Herb Zeman, National Board of Stonewall Democrats
* Members of LGBT AMERICANS FOR HILLARY have endorsed Hillary Clinton for President in their individual capacity. The names of past or present affiliations are included to assist in identifying the individuals listed and do not indicate any endorsement by that group or organization.