FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 19, 2007
NATIONAL ASIAN AMERICAN AND PACIFIC ISLANDER LEADERS ENDORSE JOHN EDWARDS FOR PRESIDENT
Chapel Hill, North Carolina - The John Edwards for President campaign announced today that Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) leaders from across the country have endorsed Senator John Edwards for President.
"I am proud to have so many well-respected leaders join my campaign," said Edwards. "Working together we can transform our country and address the critical issues facing the community and our country."
Dale Minami, civil rights and community leader, endorsed Edwards saying, "Senator Edwards has consistently reached out to the AAPI community. He has articulated policies which reflect our values as Asian American and Pacific Islanders. This is why I support his candidacy for the Presidency."
California State Senator Leland Yee endorsed Edwards saying, "I am proud to support Senator John Edwards because of his tireless work on a wide range of issues impacting not only AAPIs, but all Americans. His detailed and bold policies on healthcare, global warming, energy independence, poverty and Iraq are exactly the kind of leadership our country needs today."
The following AAPI leaders endorsed Edwards for President:
- Liz Martinez Baldick (Washington, DC) - Clinton White House Liaision, Department of Labor
- Rocky Chin (New York, New York) - Civil Rights Attorney
- Gayatri Eassey (Seattle, Washington) - Former President of the Washington Young Democrats
- Lufte Hassan (Houston, Texas) - Chairman of the APEX Group
- Kiku Hayashi (Seattle, Washington) - Community Activist
- Nomaan Husain (Houston, Texas) - Attorney, Young & Husain
- Susan Kitsu (Honolulu, Hawaii) - Civil Rights and Community Leader
- Tony Lee (Seattle, Washington) – Founding Member, Asian Pacific Islander Coalition, King County
- Ana Ma (Tuscon, Arizona) - Senior Counsel to U.S. Rep. Raúl Grijalva
- Dale Minami (San Francisco, California) - Civil Rights and Community Leader
- Amol Naik (Atlanta, Georgia) - Former Chief of Staff to the Georgia State Democratic Caucus
- Jadine Nielsen (Honolulu, Hawaii) - Clinton White House Liaision, Federal Deposit Insurance Commission and Small Business Adminstration
- Steve Ngo (San Francisco, CA) - Civil Rights Committee Member, Asian American Bar Association, Greater Bay Area
- Arlene Oki (Seattle, Washington) - Board Member of the International Examiner, Past President of the Seattle Japanese American Citizens League (JACL)
- Chris Pak (Los Angeles, California) - President of the Archeon Group
- Nathan Shinagawa (Ithaca, New York) - Tompkins County Legislator
- Sushant Sidh (Baltimore, Maryland) - Former Deputy Chief of Staff of MD Governor Parris Glendening
- David Tseng (Washington, DC) - Former Senior Policy Advisor, Clinton White House; Past Vice President of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- David Ushio (Honolulu, Hawaii) - Former Executive Director of National Japanese American Citizens League (JACL)
- Bill Wong (Sacramento, California) - Former Chief of Staff to Assemblywoman Judy Chu
- Ben and Ruth Woo (Seattle, Washington) - Community Leaders
- Hon. Leland Yee (San Francisco, California) - California State Senate Assistant President Pro Tempore; President of the National Asian Pacific Caucus of State Legislators