From the Democratic
National Committee, Oct. 5, 2004
VOTING RIGHTS INSTITUTE
2004 VOTER PROTECTION PROGRAM
· The Kerry-Edwards campaign, the Democratic National Committee,
the Democratic Coordinated Campaigns are implementing an unprecedented
voter protection program for the 2004 general election. The
will deploy an army of lawyers, organizers, and advocates across the
country to protect the right of every citizen to vote and have their
vote counted. .
· Kerry-Edwards and the Democratic Party have engaged top legal
across the country to promote and protect the right to vote. These
attorneys will protect voters from intimidation, poor election
administration, and illegal acts that suppress voting, particularly in
· In every battleground state, there is a Kerry-Edwards state
(supported by county counsels) directing legal strategies to fight the
efforts of government officials and/or the Republicans to limit voter
registration, restrict provisional balloting, put obstacles in the way
of legitimately registered voters by imposing unlawful identification
and other requirements, and suppress votes in minority communities.
· The Democratic field operations (coordinated campaigns) in
20 states have, at the DNC’s expense, employed senior- level, full-time
Voter Protection Coordinators (VPCs) who are responsible for organizing
and implementing the Democratic Party voter protection program in their
o VPCs are working to ensure that voter
registrations are processed
timely and that all who register prior to their state’s deadline are
put on the voter rolls.
o VPCs are obtaining forms of general election
ballots to ensure
that they are understandable, easy to vote, and meet all bi- lingual
o VPC’s are training attorneys to monitor the
testing and operation of voting systems.
o VPCs are countering efforts to restrict voting,
particularly acts of intimidation and harassment.
o VPCs are working to make sure that physically
have accessible polling places and that elderly voters get the
necessary assistance to cast their ballots.
· Kerry-Edwards and the Democratic Party are promoting early
vote-by- mail and will protect voters who choose to exercise these
· Thousands of volunteer Democratic Party voting rights
be deployed at precincts in battleground states on Election Day to
ensure that polls are opened and staffed properly; that voting systems
are tested and operated properly; and especially, that problems
experienced by lawfully registered voters are solved quickly; that all
those denied the right to cast a regular ballot are afforded the right
conferred by law to cast a provisional ballot; and that neither
partisans nor government officials impose unlawful challenges or other
obstacles to voting.
· Kerry-Edwards and the Democratic Party are investing record
in educating voters about their rights, through mail, phones, print
media, and electronic media.
Democratic Party 2004 Election Protection Legal Task Force
Members (as of 10/5/04)
Honorable Dennis Archer
• Former Associate Justice, Michigan Supreme Court
• Former Mayor of Detroit
• Immediate Past President, American Bar Association
Honorable Eric Holder
• Former Deputy Attorney General of the United States
Rolando Rios, Esq.
• Voting Rights Attorney, San Antonio, Texas
• Former General Counsel, Southwest Voters Registration and Education
• Appointed by President Clinton to Presidential Advisory Committee on
Gulf War Veteran's Illnesses
Elaine Jones, Esq.
• Former General Counsel, NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund
Professor Charles J. Ogletree
• Jesse Climenko Professor of Law & Vice Dean for Clinical
Programs, Harvard Law School
• Director, Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race & Justice
Honorable Ron Kirk
• Former Secretary of State for the State of Texas
• Former Mayor of Dallas
• 2002 Democratic Nominee for United States Senate
Honorable Deval Patrick
• Former Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights
Londell McMillan, Esq.
• McMillan Law Firm, New York City
• Entertainment Attorney & Civil Rights Advocate